Use the Mediterranean diet as a basis:
- 3 pieces of fruit and 2 portions of vegetables (raw and cooked) daily
- Avoid all refined carbohydrates (white sugar, white flour) and replace them with whole grains (wholemeal bread, wholegrain pasta, brown rice).
- Avoid red meat. Replace this with chicken or turkey or soy-based products (soy burgers, tofu, soy milk).
- Eat fish twice a day ((organic) salmon, sardines, tuna, halibut, mackerel and herring).
- Regularly eat legumes like beans, lentils, peas.
- Eat nuts, seeds and pits on a daily base.
- Opt for ‘good’ fats (flaxseed oil, olive oil).
- Drink alcohol and coffee moderately.
- Limit intake of dairy products, except for yoghurt and quark.